I don’t know about you guys but when life creeps up on me I find I am constantly pressed for time. On weekends I find myself preparing meals in advance for the week and I wondered if I could do the same with smoothies. Hence the question that kept on coming up “ How long do homemade fruit smoothies last in the fridge”.
I don’t know about you but if I can prep all my smoothies in advance and get the same nutritional benefits and great taste sign me up!
How Long Do Smoothies Last?
The shelf life of your smoothies depends on how the smoothie is stored. If you leave the smoothie outside it should last for 2-3 hours. If you leave the smoothie in the fridge it should last for 24-48 hours.
If you plan to freeze your smoothie it can last up to 3 months. Keep in mind these figures are just approximations. How you store your smoothie, the smoothie ingredients, and the storage container all play a part in the shelf life of your smoothie.
How Long Do Smoothies Last in the Fridge?
Your smoothie should last around 24 – 48 hours (1-2 days) in the fridge. To make sure your smoothie really stays fresh do the following:
- Use frozen ingredients
- Make sure you have an airtight container such as a mason jar
- Make sure you fill the smoothie up to the brim of the container so air is not trapped in the container thus causing oxidation.
- Add smoothie ingredients that contain vitamin c such as limes or lemons to slow down oxidation.
How Long Do Smoothies Last in the Freezer?
If you plan to store your smoothies in bulk you can store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to Make Your Smoothies Last Longer
There are a number of things you can do to make your smoothies last longer. Our favorite techniques are listed below:
- Freeze your smoothies. You can use freezer-safe jars where the top won’t rust.
- Use airtight containers. Mason jars are ideal for this purpose.
- Add vitamin C such as lemon or limes to your smoothie to prevent oxidation.
- Don’t use a lot of bananas or sweet fruits in your smoothie. These items will cause your smoothie to oxidize quicker.
- Don’t leave your smoothie outside in room temperature or heat.
- Use frozen ingredients in your smoothie.
- Freeze your smoothies in an ice cube tray. When you are ready to use add some more liquid and blend in the blender.
- Another option for the ice cube tray is to use popsicle modes for your smoothie.
Does Your Blender Make a Difference?
The type of blender you use will affect how long your smoothie stays fresh. A traditional blender, assists the deterioration of food by maximizing the extra oxygen that is incorporated into the blending of a traditional smoothie.
The addition of oxygen hastens the oxidation process that degrades vital nutrients and flavors.
A vacuum blender is a great way to eliminate this problem. This blender has an extra mode that sucks out oxygen from the jar before blending. This prevents bubbles of air from being incorporated into your smoothies.
Because of this feature a vacuum blender serves up smoother, less frothy smoothies enhances the flavor of smoothies, prolongs the shelf life of smoothies, and preserves nutrients.
Can You Make Fruit Smoothies the Night Before?
For people on the run, making your smoothie the night before is efficient and saves you time. There is no drawback to making your smoothie the night before.
How Do You Know if a Smoothie Has Gone Bad?
If you want to find out if your smoothie has gone bad do the following:
Smell test: Does the smoothie smell off or is it giving off a pungent smell. You can usually tell when food has gone bad, trust me you will definitely be able to figure out when a smoothie has gone bad! If the smoothie smells off don’t hesitate to throw it away.
Taste test: Take a sip and see for yourself. You can always tell when something has gone bad. If it doesn’t taste like it was originally, your smoothie has probably gone bad.
Eye test: Have a look at the liquid, has it changed color (Ex. – has it gone brown), do you see a lot of oxidation? If so, more than likely your smoothie has gone bad.
Can You Drink a 2 Day Old Smoothie?
If you leave the smoothie in the freezer it will be good after two days. However, if you left it in the fridge it depends on how it was stored and what ingredients you used in the smoothie. To be on the safe side do the smell, view, and taste tests listed above.
Can You Drink a Smoothie Left Out Overnight?
If your smoothie has been left outside for more than 4 hours we don’t recommend you drink it. However, the best course of action is to take the eye, taste, and smell test to see if the smoothie has gone bad.
Do Smoothies Lose Nutrients Overnight?
Smoothies will lose some of their nutrients overnight; however, it is much better to have a smoothie for breakfast instead of toast. A smoothie will not lose all of its nutrients overnight. You can store the smoothie properly or add vitamin c to slow down the oxidation process.
How To Store Smoothies in the Freezer or Fridge
We are great believers in prepping for meals so as you can guess we have a number of methods we like to use when deciding how to store smoothies in the freezer or the fridge. A few of our favorite methods are listed below:
- Freeze the prepared smoothies in ice cube trays. We can either blend the cubes with extra liquid or simply let it thaw out.
- Once the smoothie is blended you can store it in airtight mason jars.
- Fill the jars to the top so air is not trapped in the jar.
- If your freezer has limited space you use reusable, air-tight zip lock bags.
- Add some type of vitamin c like lemons or limes to prevent oxidation.
- Consider using a vacuum blender to prevent oxidation and prolong the freshness of your smoothie.
- Use popsicle holders to store your smoothie.
- Use fewer bananas and sweet fruits in your smoothie to reduce oxidation and thus prolong the shelf life of your smoothie.
So there you have it in response to your question about how long homemade fruit smoothies last in the fridge. We have also included some great ideas about how to store your smoothies. To all you smoothie fanatics out there, happy blending!!