The 5200 is an old, tried-and-tested model from Vitamix. The E310, on the other hand, is a newer variant from the brand’s entry-level Explorian series.
If you can’t decide between the two, we recommend the E310 in most cases. Why? To summarize, it’s cheap, good, and durable. We compare the Vitamix e310 vs 5200 blenders in depth below.
Vitamix e310 vs 5200 : Which One is Better?
The E310 is a cheaper, updated variant of the old Legacy 5200. We think it’s better because it has a better price-to-value ratio:
- The E310 costs less than the 5200.
- It’s 2.5 inches shorter than the 5200, making it easier to store.
- It has a small, convenient 48oz container perfect for small-to-medium quantities of food.
Key Differences between the e310 and the 5200
- Container: The E310 has a 48oz BPA-free Tritan Copolyester container. The 5200 comes with a bigger 64oz container made of the same material. The container on the E310 has a clear plastic handle, while the 5200 comes with a rubberized grip.
- Blades: The E310 has 3-inch stainless steel blades while the 5200 comes with slightly smaller 2.8-inch blades.
- Warranty: The E310 comes with a 5-year full warranty that covers all expenses, including shipping and labor. The 5200 has the same but slightly-longer 7-year warranty.
- Accessories: Out-of-the-box, you get a 48oz container, mini-tamper, and a cookbook with the E310. The 5200 comes with a 64oz container, a getting started guide, a classic tamper, and a DVD.
- Dimensions: The 5200 has dimensions of 8.75 x 7.25 x 20.5 inches, while the E310 has dimensions of 11 x 8 x 18 inches. This makes the 5200 about 2.5 inches taller and slightly more cumbersome than the E310. It’s harder to fit in small cabinets.
- Weight: The 5200 weighs 10.5 lbs and the E310 weighs 11.5 lbs, making the former easier for you to move.
- Price: Being Vitamix machines, both the E310 and the 5200 are expensive blenders. However, the E310 is cheaper than the mid-range 5200 (at this time). The prices fluctuate.
- Use-cases: Due to the difference in container sizes, the 5200 is better for making larger quantities of food. If you have a large family with many members, this is a good buy. The E310 makes small quantities of food, making it best suited to individuals, couples, and small families.
- Noise: The E310 is slightly louder than the 5200, despite having the same motor. The difference in noise levels comes from the design of the housing.
Similarities between the e310 and the 5200
- Performance: The E310 and the 5200 perform about the same. They have the same 2HP motors and almost the same blades. Both machines will grind ingredients with the same smooth consistency.
- Quality: Both machines have Vitamix’s signature build quality and sturdiness. Vitamix machines rarely have problems within the first few years. Most of them last at least as long as the warranty.
- Ease-of-use: If you like old-school, simple, and straightforward, you’ll love both the E310 and the 5200. You can conveniently maneuver both machines. Popping the container on and off is easy. Finally, cleaning the appliances is a breeze.
- Versatility: You can make almost anything in either appliance, including wet and dry foods – although you should purchase a separate container if you want to grind flour. Some examples include dough, sauces, batter, smoothies, and juices. Further, you can make heat up food and prepare hot soups.
- Controls: Both come with manual, high-precision speed settings that allow you to create a blend of your desired consistency.
The Explorian Series is a “budget” blender from Vitamix, available in black, red, and slate colors. This blender has a cube-like base with sides curving upward.
The housing is sturdy and comes with a 10-speed variable dial. It has knob switches you can flip on and off. Thanks to its compact shape, this machine will slide into most kitchen cabinets.
When it comes to performance, you will have no cause for complaint. The E310 will blend anything you throw at it, from dense stalks to solid ice.
The final consistency of the mixture will be a smooth as butter. Like all Vitamix blenders, the E310 can crush the tiniest of ingredients reliably, including fruit seeds. The “vortex” effect reduces the need to use the (included) tamper.
The 48oz container is well-made and perfect if you want to make small servings of food and drink. You can buy additional accessories for the blender, including a container for grinding dry foods like flour.
You can clean the E310 conveniently thanks to the self-cleaning option. This blender lacks auto-program settings and other quality-of-life features.
- Significantly cheaper than the 5200.
- Excellent performance, solid design.
- Perfect if you want to make small or medium quantities of food.
- Shorter warranty than the 5200.
- Doesn’t have high-end features like blend cycle settings (like the Ascent series).
- Lacks in power compared to high-end Vitamix variants (like the Ascent series).
The Vitamix 5200 has been around for a long time and is one of Vitamix’s most popular products. It’s a sturdy machine with a plastic body, available in black, red, or white colors.
The design and look of the machine is signature “Legacy” Vitamix – simple, clean, and timeless. It has 10 manual speed controls, with flip on-off and pulse switches to the side.
This blender performs extremely well overall. It reduces most ingredients to paste in mere seconds. You can make anything and everything in this blender, from dough and nut butter to hot food and soup.
You will have to use the tamper once in a while, though, to push the ingredients into the blades. Further, you will be stuck to the machine, as it has no auto-program settings.
How easy is it to clean the 5200? Extremely so – you just add water and soap to the container and let it run for a minute. Storing the 5200 is a minor challenge, but it’s not a dealbreaker by any means.
As the 5200 is an old design, it doesn’t come with the latest features like “SelfDetect” technology, Bluetooth, or touch-screen interfaces. You probably won’t miss these features, however.
- Excellent build quality and reliability.
- Comes with a solid, all-expenses-covered 7-year warranty.
- Perfect for making large volumes of food.
Conclusion – Our Recommendations
The E310 and the 5200 are great machines from arguably the best blender brand out there – Vitamix.
The E310 is the better blender only because it’s cheaper. In terms of performance, both blenders are virtually identical. Here are our buying recommendations:
Use the E310 when –
- You want the most affordable Vitamix blender you can get.
- You are a family of one, two, or three – and only blend small quantities.
- You like simple and old-school.
Use the 5200 when –
- You want an old-school design that’s trusted-and-true.
- You are a family of three or more and regularly need medium-to-large portions.
- You want a stress-free 7-year warranty.